Saturday, October 21, 2006

Since when does "any", not mean ANY!

First and foremost, allow me to get this out of the way. I am pro-choice for the simple reason, that I don't have a choice. I am a male, therefor the abortion issue does not apply to me. However, when women are allowed to shoot themselves in the stomach in order to abort a child that was hours from being born, I feel the need to speak up. The state of Virginia where I admit embarrassingly, that I am originally from, has really dropped the ball.
Tammy Skinner, age 22, two children and one on the way, shot herself in the stomach in order to abort a baby that she was due to give birth to on the same morning. Why did she do this? Because in her words, she, "had no choice." The only thing I will say about that is that I hardly believe your two choices when giving birth are two either shoot yourself or give birth. I have never heard of a nurse or doctor, assisting a woman in labor and saying, "Mam, would you like Smith & Wesson or Remington with your birth."
While abortion is not illegal, abortion in the third tri-mester is. I have to believe that the morning of, qualifies as being part of the third tri-mester. Therefor illegal abortion, charges filed, sentencing and so an and so forth. Right? Wrong. A Virginia judge dismissed the charges of an illegal abortion, because of the word "any". The law reads as follows: In Virginia law, if an abortion is deemed illegal, Statute 18.2-71, makes a criminal out of "any person [to] administer to, or cause … any drug or other thing" with intent to destroy an unborn child. The judge agreed with the defense by ruling that any person does not include the mother.
The issue here is not about abortion. This is an issue of pure, unadulterated stupidity. How is it possible that any normal thinking individual could interpret the law in such a way? If someone says, "if anyone steals my car, I will press charges." Does it mean, anyone, but the actual person who stole the car? If someone says, "if anyone kills my dog, I will press charges." Does that mean, anyone, but the actual person who kills the dog? These two examples are pretty obvious, I would think, to any normal thinking person. Of course, anyone, means anyone.
Have you ever been to a "Do-it-Yourself" car wash? The ones where you just pull up in the bay, wash your car yourself and drive off. Just a thought, and granted a little over the top, but who is to stop "Do-it-Yourself" 3rd term abortion clinics from popping up? Just walk up, slip into the bay, kill your baby and move on.
I hope Virginia gets what they deserve out of this. Can't you just see it now? Truckloads of women, driving to Virginia to self-abort. And don't kid yourself, since this ruling has been issued, maybe not as graphic, but someone has thought about going to Virginia to accomplish the same thing. Maybe it's a part of their new tourism marketing. "Come to Virginia, while you're here, go ahead SELF-ABORT."
In reading some of my examples you may have found yourself saying, " that's ridiculous!" Or, "what a moron!" As they say, don't shoot the messenger, the state of Virginia said you can do it.

Thanks for reading, take care.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home